Monday, December 1, 2008

The Dare

I really wish it would have been a bet instead because I could have racked some serious dough.

Before the football game this past Thanksgiving, Demi Lovato sung "The Star-Spangled Banner".

In my opinion, she raped it. It was BEYOND raping. As a matter of fact, she sung it in such a way that made me look back on how the teenie-bopper society and above adopted an R&B style of singing and invaded the old traditions that still hold true and dear to our hearts. LIKE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.

Now I'm not against creativity and expressing yourself through unpopular means. Please, I encourage you to release it on a CD with some electro beats and amazing feats, but when it comes to singing it in front of people who like it sung properly and have it be given the respect it so proudly deserves, get the fuck off the stage.

I said the above to my Drunkle who, of course, agreed with me, but when I said it to my Dad, he stood on her side.

First he threw out her net-worth and fame, though I have no idea who the hell she is. Then when that didn't work for him, he played the "vocal range" card, which I proudly shot down.

"Fine, we'll see. Make it this week's new track."

And so it is.

Having JUST sung and recorded it, I'm quite happy with the results. It's simply enough the usual a capella version. Bare voice and all to prove the point to my Dad that songs like The National Anthem should NOT be sung in "just any way", but that it needs to be sung with pride, sorrow, and a sense of accomplishment.

Love and Ciao,

Trevor.

P.S. I just checked out who she is. Camp Rock? The Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience? Oh please, spare me the horror of that demographic already.

No comments: